CASA certified to fly drones commercially

CASA certified to fly drones commercially

(Last Updated On: October 12, 2017)


CASA Certified.

Do I need to be CASA certified if I’m flying for commercial purposes? No. If you are flying a Drone/RPA that has a take off weight of under 2kg.

CASA had two research papers written based on the energy a 2kg drone would produce. The first paper was based on the injury that would be caused from the impact of a small RPA with a person on the ground. The second paper was to gauge the damage to a manned aircraft from a mid-air collision with a small RPA. As a result the research that was conducted the excluded category was introduced.

Since September 2016 a new category of excluded RPA (Remote Piloted Aircraft) was introduced. Therefore the excluded category for under 2kg drones don’t require you to be certified, as long as you follow the standard operating conditions.

CASA certified. Yes or No

Standard Operating Conditions as set out by CASA.

  • Obtain an ARN (Aviation reference Number).
  • Complete the online CASA form of your intentions to fly. This must be done at least five days before. your first flight. Your notification to CASA is good for 24 months.
  • Only fly your Drone during the daytime hours. Not after sunset.
  • Stay away from all prohibited and restricted areas.
  • Don’t fly your drone over any populous areas. The loss of control or failure could create an unreasonable hazard to the safety of people and property on the ground.
  • Stay 30 meters away from people or any person who is not part of the safe operation of the drone.
  • Keep at least a minimum of 5.5km away from controlled aerodromes.
  • Keep your drone in visual line of site at all times. Able to see the drone with your eyes not through a FPV (First Person Viewer).
  • Don’t fly your drone any higher than 120 meters or 400ft AGL (Above Ground Level).
  • Only fly one drone at any one time.
  • Don’t fly your drone near any area where public safety is a concern, where emergency operations are underway. Especially relevant are traffic accidents, search and rescue operations, police operations, fire and firefighting efforts.

For full details concerning if you need to be CASA certified or about flying a drone under 2kg for commercials reasons go to the CASA website.

You can read about the must have “Can I Fly There” app from CASA just follow the link.


No Comments

Leave a Reply